Saturday, May 4, 2013

Recipe: Bacon and Vegetable Quiche

My husband has a habit of grabbing his breakfast on the run. Normally it is a bowl of oatmeal with different fixings, sometimes fruit, sometimes protein powder, sometimes peanut butter .... or even combining the three. He used to be hooked on cold cereals, all loaded with sugar and other artificial ingredients, but we haven't seen one of those boxes in our home for about two years. And he feels so much better now that he's starting his day out a little better.

However, sometimes the oatmeal can get a little boring. So I've been searching for suitable breakfast meals that I can have ready for him to just grab and go. I recently have come to appreciate quiches and was on the Fast Paleo website and came across one that I'll be sticking in my box of favorites!

It's called "Bacon and Vegetable Quiche" and is super yummy and filling, which is perfect for my husband. I tried it for the first time this week and he's been happy to have options in the morning. All he has to do is pull it out of the fridge, slice a piece, heat it up, and put it in his container to go!

So here's how you make it:

Ingredients

  • 12 eggs
  • 1 cup of bacon (I used more)
  • 1 sweet potato
  • 2 carrots
  • 2 handfuls of baby spinach
  • 2 zucchinis
  • 1/2 white onion (I used a full onion)
  • Smidge of coconut oil
  • Salt and pepper
  • iPhone not needed unless you like music while cooking : )

Cooking Steps

1. Shred sweet potato, zucchini and carrots.  (I just chopped these finely)
2. Chop spinach, bacon and onion and add to vegetable mixture.
3. Combine.
4. Add eggs into combined vegetable and bacon mixture. Mix thoroughly.
5. Add salt and pepper – mix.
6. Rub oil over tray to avoid quiche sticking to the tray.  Pour    mixture onto the tray.

**Size of quiche depends on your own preference and portion intake.



Bake at 180 degrees for 45 minutes.
**A knife/toothpick is inserted and comes out clean the quiche is cooked.  
(Some reviews questioned whether the 180 degrees was Celcius or Fahrenheit and they said Fahrenheit, but at the end of the cooking time it still wasn't done. So I put it on 350 degrees and cooked another half hour.)

Set and allow quiche to cool before cutting.

**Vegetable selection is based on what I had in the fridge, but it is entirely up to you! Tastes great with the bacon, or smoked salmon for those who don’t eat bacon – for vegetarians, the quiche on its own also tastes great! 

No comments:

Post a Comment