Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Paleo Brownies!

One of the biggest challenges with trying to keep our diet paleo has been desserts. I just don't think it's possible to go without desserts now and then. And it's not just me; Hubby has a sweet tooth too!

I've tried some cookie recipes and some pudding recipes. Spoiler alert: avocado pudding is no bueno. At least the kind I tried. I'd skip that one if you haven't tried it yet. Some of the cookie recipes aren't bad, but I kind of feel like a cookie isn't a cookie unless it has chocolate chips. And I haven't picked up any paleo chocolate chips yet, so they've been lacking something up til now.

I happened to come across this recipe for brownies, one of my favorite desserts, on Taylor Made It Paleo. I was skeptical at first, but I did my quick scan of the ingredients and they all seemed reasonable (we're ok with some honey).  

20140120 072726 Sunbutter Swirl Chunky Chocolate Brownies

I did need to pick up a few of the ingredients, and in the process I ended up swapping out the sunflower seed butter for regular peanut butter (much cheaper). I whipped everything together pretty quickly; it's a pretty easy recipe to follow and didn't take a ton of time either. The hardest part was waiting for them to cool before I could try them! ; )

I was immediately impressed. First bite! It was delicious! Hubby was impressed too. I've since made them for my parents and they both liked them. Again, my dad was not completely blown away by them like we were, but you can't win them all!

So this has become a recipe that I keep and make now and then when we've got a sweet tooth. I bet you could even freeze some and pull them out later for a quick treat. I can imagine it now, warmed up in the microwave with some ice cream on top, like she suggests. Mmm... I'm thinking I need to go whip up another batch right now!

I hope you enjoy them as much as we did!

Ingredients:

  • ½ cup coconut flour
  • ½ cup cocoa powder
  • 1 tbsp coconut crystals
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp sea salt
  • 5 eggs
  • ¾ cup honey
  • 3 1/2 tbsp grass-fed butter, softened
  • 2 tbsp full fat, canned coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips (or dark chocolate chips)
  • ½ cup pecans, roughly chopped
  • ¼ cup sunflower seed butter (or other nut/seed butter)

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 and line a 9×9 baking dish with parchment paper.
  2. In a medium sized bowl, combine coconut flour, cocoa powder, coconut crystals, baking soda, and salt.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, honey, butter, and coconut milk.
  4. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet and mix until well combined.
  5. Stir in pecans and chocolate chips.
  6. Pour batter evenly into baking dish.
  7. Pour sunflower seed butter over top and “swirl” evenly into batter.
  8. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean in the center.
  9. When finished, remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment