Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Product Review: Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown

Today I tried a new workout: Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown. I got it for Christmas, but haven't been able to bust it out until now. I am definitely not an expert on Yoga, so I don't know what is the norm. The only other yoga I have done is P90x Yoga. I can say that the two styles are very different. Where P90x Yoga is very centered on power poses (holding strength poses for extended periods of time), Jillian's approach is more dynamic. She created her program to incorporate the same basic poses as the P90x Yoga, but includes reps with it before having you hold the position for 15 seconds. Let me tell you, 15 seconds may not seem like a long time, and isn't when you compare it to P90x, but after doing reps, you will feel the burn.





For example, one move is a Warrior 3 pose. In this position you are balanced on one foot while your other leg is parallel to the ground, creating a right angle. You hold this position, but only briefly, and then come down into a squat ... then back up to Warrior 3. You do the reps, then you hold for 15 seconds. Then move on to the next move.

The work is, as always, modified to be suitable for beginner, moderate, or advanced level participants. It also does not require any equipment, not even shoes, as you do this workout barefoot. The workout lasts about 35 minutes, so it easily fits into your schedule... especially when you compare it to the 1.5 hours involved in P90x Yoga. That being said, it doesn't involve as much stretching as it does strength training, but it packs a punch for a half hour workout. There are two levels too, so once you feel you've mastered the first level, you can move on to the second one for more of a challenge.

I think yoga should be included in weekly, at least, because it is that flexibility and balance that help you with all of your core and strength and even cardio workouts. They also help reduce the chance of injury when working out or just in your daily routine.

I kind of got the feeling that Jillian doesn't do yoga regularly because she admits to not being all that balanced or flexible as I believe she may be if it were a regular routine. On the one hand, it might help you feel more relaxed to know that even Jillian Michaels can't do it perfectly. But on the other hand, it came off to me that she may not really think yoga is a necessary part of her routine either. It was just my first time doing the program though, so my opinion may change. I love Jillian and her attitude throughout this workout is great. I wish there were a bit more stretching involved, but I can always look to another yoga DVD if I want to stretch throughout the workout.

Pros: 

30 minute routine that fits into your schedule
The moves are easily modified to fit your fitness level
No equipment necessary
Not a boring workout at all
$8 online is a very good price
Two different levels to master

Cons:

Not as much stretching for the yoga I am used to

No comments:

Post a Comment