Sunday, May 5, 2013

Recipe: Honey Mustard Burgers and Sweet Potato Apple Mash

This is another one of the new recipes that I have tried recently. This one, very quickly, moved to the top of my list of favorite meals! I really wish I had doubled the recipe because the amount of mash that came from the recipe only lasted through one meal. The six burgers was fine, but I think I will double or triple the mash recipe next time. I'm also not that great at keeping burgers in one piece (not a lot of practice), so I didn't take any pictures of my own this time.

I really love this recipe from Civilized Caveman Cooking because the two different pieces go so well together. The mash is sweet and tart at the same time while the burgers are sweet and savory. It's a perfect combination. I also love this option because I can make burgers and not need a bun. I even think the mash could be used as a dessert or with pork chops too.


Credit: civilizedcavemancooking.com

Ingredients

  • 2 Lbs Ground Beef
  • 1/2 Cup Honey
  • 1/2 Cup Dijon Mustard
  • 1 Tsp Sea Salt, 1 Tsp Pepper
For the Hash:
  • 2 Cups peeled, diced Sweet Potato
  • 1/2 Red Onion Diced
  • 1 Granny Smith Apple peeled, Diced
  • 1 Tbsp Cinnamon

 Cooking Steps

Taken from: http://www.civilizedcavemancooking.com

1. In a large mixing bowl, combine your ground beef, honey, dijon mustard, sea salt, and pepper.
2. Using your hands, mix the meat well to ensure an even coating.
3. Once mixed, make 6 patties about 1/2 inch thick and set on a plate.
4. Grill over medium high heat about 7-10 minutes on the first side and 5 minutes on the second side
    until done to your liking.
5. Serve over a bed of Sweet Potato Apple Hash below

For the Hash:

1. Preheat a skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Melt a cooking oil of your choice, I used coconut oil.
3. Add your apples and onions and saute until the onions start to caramelize.
4. Next add your sweet potatoes and saute for 2-3 minutes.
5. Now take some water and pour it into the skillet, mixing well, and ensure nothing is stuck to the
    bottom of the pan.
6. Cover the pan and let the water steam your potatoes.
** If after all your water has evaporated your potatoes still aren’t done, add more water and repeat.
7. Once done to your liking, turn off the heat and add the cinnamon and mix well, then plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment