Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Crazy Week: Headaches, On and Off Whole30, and a Purchase Agreement!

The last week or so has been uber crazy. I don't even want to know what my cortisol levels were. I don't think I've ever been so stressed for such a long period of time. House hunting/negotiating is emotionally draining. I'll start there, since that's the biggest of my stresses lately. We found a house, we put an offer down, and then for the last week and a half we have been counter offering with the seller to get to a purchase agreement. Well, we finally got it!! : ) Yay! 

buiyng_a_home_346
Source
This doesn't mean that we are buying the house just yet, just that we have an agreement that we will buy it if we are satisfied with the inspections. So, this week is inspection week. We are trying to schedule water and septic inspections and have our whole house inspection set for Friday. I'll feel better when I know the other two are set, but at least I feel a little more secure this week. I was afraid someone else would come along and outbid us, as has happened in the past. But, if inspections go well then we will be buying it! And that is pretty exciting, but I don't think it's really sunk in yet. 

We'll have so much to do once we KNOW we are moving too. Boxing up our stuff, arranging for family to help us move, find a subleaser, make a list for address changes, etc. It's gonna be an interesting month, hopefully. Fingers crossed that the inspections go well! And we'd really appreciate any extra good vibes, prayers, or fingers crossed from anyone who's got them! : ) Thanks!

So, now on to going off Whole30. 

I know that they say that you are NOT supposed to go and have a day full of eating whatever you want, you're supposed to try certain things for a few days so you can pinpoint what foods are problem foods. Well, we were stressed (excuse) and so we didn't do that. Instead, we ordered pizza. I have to say that I regretted that decision tremendously! 

Source
Headache
Credit
Within an hour or two of eating the pizza I felt as though I had a hangover. I had a huge headache, felt drowsy, irritable, and I know I had eaten too much but the feeling coming from my stomach was more of a general nausea rather than overstuffed. It was horrible. I went to bed immediately. That was on Friday. Today is the first day that I have not had a killer headache... yet. I can feel slight pressure, but I wouldn't classify it as a headache just yet. I'll take it though. 

Hubby also noticed a difference. He had the "hangover" after the pizza and had a monster of a headache (so he told me) the next day. He also noticed some of the aches in his knees came back and he noticed a general lack of energy. 

Also, I remembered that pizza being sooo good, like you can't help but go "Mmmm!" when you take a bite. That's what is was like for us the last time we ordered it, months ago. This time it really didn't have that same "wow" factor. I felt like I wanted to eat the whole thing and had to make myself stop when my stomach started hurting, but really wasn't impressed with the overall flavor. So not worth it! 

Getting Back on Whole30

I had been debating what would be the best day to get back on the Whole30 program for our second round, but waking up on that Saturday morning, knowing how horrible that food had made me feel, we chose to get back on right away. So Saturday morning was Day 1 of our Whole30: Round 2. We are already feeling better, but it's taking a few days before that pizza works its way out of our systems. 

It's amazing how much that food really affects us and I'm just wondering how I ate somewhat similarly for the last 26 years of my life and those effects were just the norm. Maybe they weren't so extreme because it wasn't such a shock when I was eating that way every day, but I know they were there to some extent because I notice such an incredible difference going back to eating just whole foods. I think we got the reminder we needed and we will not be going back off plan. Not with that kind of stuff anyway. I think Paleo-ifying certain foods is fine, but we'll try to keep those to a minimum too. And if we ever forget again, I'm sure the headaches will be right there, waiting to remind me!

Working Out

Source
I'm up for Workout #5/44 of Fitness Blender's 8-week program today. We went biking twice last week so that was our exercise, but that's ok. I'm not on a time crunch for this, just want to make it something I can maintain. I remember that I didn't particularly care for this workout when I tried it last time. I had a hard time keeping up and it was pretty hard. So hopefully it will be a little bit smoother since it's the second time. Wish me luck! : )

2 comments:

  1. I don't even want to know what my cortisol levels were. I don't think I've ever been so stressed for such a long period of time. House hunting/negotiating is emotionally draining. http://www.learnaboutmigraineheadaches.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree. Our closing date was just moved for the fifth time. Can't wait to be done! Thanks for the comment! : )

      Delete