Thursday, August 1, 2013

Let's Try This Again: Fitness Blender 8-Week Program!

credit: fitnessblender.com
A couple of months ago I had decided to try out one of Fitness Blender's 8-week training programs. I got about 2 weeks into it and then I quit. This shouldn't have surprised me. I am wonderful at getting super excited about a new program, giving it my all for about a week and a half, then I start to get burnt out, and by the end of the 2nd week I start missing days. By the 3rd week, I am usually completely done with even trying. This has happened to me time and time again in the last couple of years with ways that I've tried to improve my fitness or in trying improve what's on my plate. I haven't been able to stick with anything for more than 2, maybe 3, weeks. I try to do too much all at once (0 to 60) and get burnt out and end up quitting. Worse than that, I usually would end up rebelling by eating a ton of junk and not working out for the next three weeks. Sad, but true.

However... we are now on Day 25 of our Whole30 program. That means that I have done almost 4 complete weeks now of working out with a 2 days on/1 day off rotation. I just realized that today. This is HUGE for me! Not only have I been able to stick to the nutritional commitments, but I have stuck to my workout goals as well. Four weeks may not seem like such a huge deal, but for someone who has a habit of not finishing things, it's a pretty great step in the right direction. It not only shows me that I can do this, but that I am doing it!

credit: whole9life.com
I'm going to talk a little bit more about some of the podcasts that I listen to daily in a future post, but one of them that I had on today featured a guest who was talking about starting out with a small goal, working out successfully for 3 - 4 times a week for a few weeks/couple of months. After you show yourself that you can follow that routine, then add in more intensity, but it's much easier to build up to where you want to be rather than just jumping in feet first ... which is what I tend to do. 

But, I'm hoping that I have a good foundation built with this 2 days on/1 day off routine. I cannot begin to explain just how much better this plan works for me than the 5 days on/2 days off or 6 days on/1 day off routine that I thought I had to do for the last few years. I am still getting in 5 workouts a week, but for some reason that break every third day is just what I need to keep me from getting burnt out. So I'm going to do the Fitness Blender 8-week challenge, but I'm going to continue doing the 2 days on/1 day off rotation.

Round 1
credit: fitnessblender.com
I'm a little bit scared, honestly. We're coming to the end of our Whole30: Round 1 and we are planning on starting up a second round afterwards. I'm afraid of starting a set routine for working out because I don't want to feel like I'm tied to something, end up not being able to follow along, and lead to a complete failure of not only the workout program, but of the nutritional program too. I need to figure out if I really do enjoy the structure of being told what to do every workout for 8 weeks or if I am better suited to choosing my own workouts, based on what I feel like at that given time. I'm going to have to just have faith and trust in myself that I can do this! I know I will have my husband's full support and motivation and I strongly believe that if I have the right attitude, I will be able to accomplish this next goal of mine. 

So, with all that being said, today was Day 1. 

It's a Thursday, I know. It's not the beginning of the week or the end of the week or any special day, but it just felt right to start today. So I did. I am not going to be able to talk about which specific workouts I do each day because it is a program that you pay for ( $6.99 for the 8-week training) but, like all fitness programs, Day 1 is a fit test. So that's what I did today.

Day 1: Ready and willing! : )
Fitness Blender's Physical Fit Test (PFT) consists of tracking how fast you can complete 1 mile, how many squats you can do with good form, how many pushups you can do with good form, how long you can stay in plank, and finally a sit-and-reach test. And, of course, you always do a warm up and cool down, before and after, your workout/fit test. 


So I will leave you with my results. I was a little surprised at how much strength/endurance I have lost in the last year, but I did what I could and we'll compare it in 8 weeks!

Here are my stats for Day 1 (Aug. 1st): 

1 Mile Run : 12 minutes
Pushups: 16 on my knees 
Squats: 43
Static Plank: 37 seconds 
Sit & Reach: 3 inches


No comments:

Post a Comment