I am happy to report, however, that I loved it! I think it maybe stemmed back to when I was little and I didn't like the crunch of the celery mixed in with everything else, but I had no problem with texture this time. And the flavors together are wonderful! The apple really gives it a nice sweetness. I do have to say that I didn't use any relish or pickles because I couldn't find any without additives, but it still tasted wonderful.
This is something that makes quite a bit of leftovers, so it was perfect to add to the side of hubby's lunch or even in the morning for breakfast. We gave it two thumbs up!
- 3 lbs cooked, cooled and shredded chicken (about 1 whole chicken)
- 3 celery stalks, diced (optional)
4 tbsp relish or diced pickles(did not use) 1 small box of raisinsor 1 diced apple
- 1 handful of sliced almonds (pecans are delicious here too)
- 1/4 cup homemade mayo
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
Gourmet variations to add:
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- juice of half a lemon
Directions:1. In a large bowl combine chicken, celery, raisins, almonds and mayo. Mix well.
2. Add in salt and pepper. Enjoy!
1. Add in mustard, lemon zest and lemon juice. Enjoy!