Friday, August 16, 2013

Easy Chicken Salad Recipe from Whole Family Strong!

This Easy Chicken Salad from Whole Family Strong is wonderful in so many ways. I really didn't think that I would like it, to be honest. I've never been a big fan of chicken salad, pasta salad, potato salad, or anything like that. I saw it on the website, it looked easy enough, and I figured that if I didn't like it, it could still be used as a filler for my husband to eat with his lunches.

I am happy to report, however, that I loved it! I think it maybe stemmed back to when I was little and I didn't like the crunch of the celery mixed in with everything else, but I had no problem with texture this time. And the flavors together are wonderful! The apple really gives it a nice sweetness. I do have to say that I didn't use any relish or pickles because I couldn't find any without additives, but it still tasted wonderful. 

This is something that makes quite a bit of leftovers, so it was perfect to add to the side of hubby's lunch or even in the morning for breakfast. We gave it two thumbs up!

Ingredients:

  • 3 lbs cooked, cooled and shredded chicken (about 1 whole chicken)
  • 3 celery stalks, diced (optional)
  • 4 tbsp relish or diced pickles (did not use)
  • 1 small box of raisins or 1 diced apple
  • 1 handful of sliced almonds (pecans are delicious here too)
  • 1/4 cup homemade mayo
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper

Gourmet variations to add: 
  • 1 tsp dijon mustard
  • 1 tbsp lemon zest
  • juice of half a lemon

Directions:

1. In a large bowl combine chicken, celery, raisins, almonds and mayo. Mix well.
2. Add in salt and pepper. Enjoy!
Variations:
1. Add in mustard, lemon zest and lemon juice. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment