Saturday, June 15, 2013

Homemade Salsa Recipe!

Credit: target.com
In a recent post that I wrote about my new favorite appliance, our NutriBullet, I mentioned a salsa recipe that I found and that I love!! I also recently found out that the NutriBullet blades never need to be sharpened, which is pretty cool. We'll see how true that is with time though. Back to the salsa!

I have this recipe for Southwestern Egg Rolls, which really aren't all that Paleo, but I make them on the rare occasion when I go to someone's house for a get-together and they ask us to bring a side. The egg rolls are really good with salsa, but most of the salsas you buy in the stores are full of sugar and other ingredients or they're fairly expensive. So I decided to make the salsa that was at the bottom of the egg roll recipe. I found both recipes on Annie's Eats if you're interested in viewing the original article.

It is named "My Favorite Salsa", which is great because it is now MY favorite recipe too! : ) I'm sure you will love it if you give it a try as well.

salsa
Credit: annies-eats.com
My Favorite Salsa
Ingredients:
2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and very coarsely chopped

4 cloves garlic, halved
2 large vine-ripened tomatoes
1 (28 0z.) can diced tomatoes (drained or not, depending on how much liquid you want in your salsa)
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 tbsp. cumin
1/2 sweet yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
juice of one lime

Directions:
In the bowl of a food processor, combine the jalapenos and garlic.  Process until finely chopped.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl.  Add all other ingredients to the food processor.  Pulse in very brief pulses until the vegetables have reached the size you desire (it does not take many pulses so don’t overdo it).  Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving to allow the flavors to blend.


I'm not a huge fan of cilantro so I made a small batch without any and then put some in the rest for my husband. He loves it! So we were both happy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment