Saturday, June 1, 2013

I'm 1/4 done and injured!

Me and the bunny, Gus.
I have done exactly 11 of the 44 Fitness Blender 8 Week Challenge workouts, so that means that I am 1/4 of the way done! I was supposed to do two more workouts in the last two days, but somehow managed to hurt my foot, so I was taking a little break. It is feeling better today, so I think I'm going to jump back in and get started on that second quarter.

Anyone else have random injuries with no explanation? I am not the most graceful of people. In fact, my dad used to call me "Grace" because of how uncoordinated I was as a child, lol. I did notice that the heavier I became, the less graceful I became. Since I've lost a lot of weight, I am a bit more agile, but I guess everyone has their limit! : )

I am pretty sure that I hurt my foot getting the mail the other day. I picked up the mail and was
reading some of it while walking back to the bedroom. Well, we have a rabbit and he was out, so the bunny/baby gate was up. I completely forgot about it and walked right into the thing and almost somersaulted over it.

I also have to admit that I don't like shoes. I'm from the country. I never wore shoes growing up. I didn't wear them when I was inside, didn't wear them when I was playing outside, didn't have a problem walking across the stone driveway either. But, I grew up and moved away and started living in apartments in the city and I knew I couldn't go walking around the sidewalks without risking glass or whatever else people decide to toss out for Mother Nature to clean up. So I've become a bit more of a tender foot lately. But that's beside the point.

My main point is that I don't like shoes, don't like socks, don't like things on my feet. So, I tend to do some most of the workouts without shoes. That's bad, I know! I really should wear the shoes for support with the workouts that I do. And since I don't enjoy being injured or not working out, I think I might just have to start doing that.

Livestrong, one of my favorite resources, says, "Whether your workout involves running, walking, sports or gym equipment, a decent sport shoe is a must. Injury caused by inappropriate shoes can needlessly derail your fitness or weight loss attempt. Investing in a quality shoe can help you to prevent foot and ankle damage, and make your workout a more pleasant and comfortable experience."

Credit: c4players.com
There are so many different types of shoes to choose from to make sure you get the best fit for you and your lifestyle.

Running : inbuilt shock absorbers, good traction
Walking: lightweight
Aerobic : lightweight and shock absorbing
Tennis : flexible soles to protect your feet from the quick side-to-side movements of tennis
High-top basketball: extra protection against ankle and foot injuries caused by jumping
Cross-training : suitable for doing a wide range of activity

Wearing the proper shoes will help keep you from getting injured. Injuries can include ankle strains, fractures, bunions, and corns among many other less heard about injuries which can keep you from workout out, running, losing weight until the injury heals.

How Do You Choose The Proper Shoes?

According to The McKinley Health Center, you should:
  • Try on shoes in the afternoon or evening, or after your workout (feet are largest at these times)
  • Try the shoes on with sports socks to ensure a good fit
  • Stand up when trying the shoes to make sure they fit
  • Leave a half inch between your big toe and the tip of the shoe
  • Make sure you can easily wiggle your toes
  • Bend the shoe to make sure it is not overly flexible (can indicate a lack of support)
Michigan State University's Olin Health Center recommends replacing running shoes after every 350 to 500 miles, which would be every 20 to 25 weeks if you run 20 miles/week.

Netwellness recommends checking out the wear of your shoes from the mid-sole of the shoe, which shoes damage sooner than the treads.

Health.howstuffworks.com advises buying new athletic shoes every four to six months if you exercise regularly. Click the link to read more on choosing the proper walking shoe.

Credit: newbalancetrailrunningshoes.tumblir.com
So don't wait for injury, get out there and pick up some shoes. The part that I like best about the shoes nowadays is that there are a ton of colors and styles to choose from. Some websites even let you design your own shoes. I also would highly recommend going and getting fitted for shoes too. There are a bunch of athletic shoe stores that will fit them for you and some even evaluate your walking/running style to choose the proper shoe for you, for free! So take them up on that because it doesn't get much better than that!



No comments:

Post a Comment