Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Sweet Beef Scramble

We had to run out on an errand directly following work yesterday. We went to finally pick up hubby's new glasses since he lost his in the river while kayaking the other week. He's so happy to be able to see clearly in comfortable glasses again. He went two weeks in his safety glasses from work and they squeeze his head, so I've heard a time or two, lol. But he looks very handsome in his new glasses and sunglasses so we're both glad that they are finally here!

Anyhow, we had to rush out after work to make it to the eye doctor's office before they closed and we needed something quick and easy. It just so happened that we had something quick and easy on the meal plan so it worked out perfectly! Sweet Beef Scramble, from Whole Family Strong, to the rescue!

I forgot to take the beef out of the freezer until about half way through the day, so I had to thaw that out, but that was the hardest part of this recipe. Seriously, it's that easy! 

I had some leftover butternut squash in the fridge so, instead of chopping up some sweet potatoes, I decided to go ahead and just use the squash instead. It was a decision I did not regret! I know that the sweet potatoes would have been good, but I really loved the squash in it too. I only did one onion instead of two also because it was a rather large onion and it seemed like a lot for just 1 pound of beef, but I love onion and probably would have chopped up another one if I hadn't been lazy, lol. Then just add in the salt and pepper. That's the end of the recipe. I decided to throw in some broccoli to ours too though. I like having something green in stir-fry type dishes and it really added some bulk to it, since this recipe doesn't yield a large amount like some of the other recipes we find online. 

It took just a short while to heat everything up and then it was ready to go. We put it in to-go containers and ate it on the way. I know you're not supposed to do that, but we were short on time and decided it'd be better than waiting a few extra hours after the doctor appointment. When we want to eat, we want to eat NOW! lol.

I definitely recommend this recipe if you're looking for something quick and easy and delicious. I especially love the sweet bit with the sweet potato/butternut squash. It really goes well with the beef flavor and just having minimal spices really allows you to enjoy the natural flavors of the food. This one is going on my "favorites" list. I'll just have to make sure to remember to double it next time because it goes quick!


Ingredients:
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 2 sweet potatoes, cubed (I used 1/2 of leftover butternut squash)
  • 2 large onions, sliced
  • 2 tbsp crushed rosemary (didn't have any)
  • salt
  • pepper
  • broccoli (my addition)

Directions:
1. Brown beef in skillet and season with rosemary, salt and pepper.
2. Spoon crumbled beef into serving dish.
3. In same skillet toss in sweet potatoes and onions to brown in beef fat.
4. When onions are soft and sweet potatoes are crispy, season with salt and pepper.
5. Remove from heat and add to serving dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment