Wednesday, September 4, 2013

A Fishy Recipe with a Horror Story (bones and skin included!)

Salmon Cakes with Dill Sauce


This recipe started out as a crab cake recipe from Jan's Sushi Bar, but since crab is more expensive than salmon we have switched and it is still equally as delicious! Maybe even more so!

I had originally tried this recipe from Whole Family Strong, but accidentally got the salmon with bones and skin included. I am not a fish eater. The flavor is fine. Let's just say that I have an incredibly sensitive gag reflex. I can't handle bones or gristle or any of that fun stuff. So I usually skip fish all together because I'm always afraid of getting a bone and it just basically ruins the eating experience for me if I'm in fear the whole time. I'm a baby. I know, lol.

So, when I got the cans opened and saw what looked like a little spine, I decided that I was not going to be eating salmon cakes for dinner. Hubby tried it and loved it, but I could barely eat what was on my plate while watching him shovel in bones and skin... yuck! Still get shivers just thinking about it.

So when I saw a recipe for crab cakes I was a little hesitant, but I do love crab cakes and so decided to be brave and try it. They were amazing. More than amazing. Maybe even better than chocolate. Almost.

Gluten-Free Crab CakesThe only problem is that I don't want to pay the price for crab. We tend to make very large batches and salmon is just cheaper. So I checked, double checked, and triple checked the can ... then triple checked inside the can when I got home to make sure that I did not get the kind with bones and skin. And I tried the crab cake recipe, substituting the crab with salmon.

I was not really all that anxious to try it, but decided to just go for it. I'm so happy that I did because I instantly fell in love. With no fear of bones I was able to enjoy the fishy cakes and they instantly became one of my new favorite recipes.

The crab cake recipe did not come with any kind of a sauce, but since I had just made a fresh batch of homemade mayo, I decided to use the dill sauce that came with the salmon cake recipe on the Whole Family Strong website and add it to the top. It is a match made in heaven, let me tell you. Each of them are yummy on their own, but oh-so-good together! : )

So we may or may not be having these crab salmon cakes once a week. I have decided to go back and try the original salmon recipe from WFS again and just make sure to get my boneless/skinless variety of salmon too. I'll let you know how that goes... if I can tear myself away from the tried and true recipe that is!

So if you want some mouth-wateringly delicious fishy cakes, try out the recipe yourself. I'm sure you won't be disappointed:

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup celery, finely diced
  • 1/4 cup onion, finely diced
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, preferably homemade
  • 2 tablespoons coconut milk
  • 6 ounces lump crab meat salmon
  • 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
  • 2 teaspoons dill pickle, finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons coconut flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • few grinds black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil

Instructions:

  1. Gently combine all of the ingredients except the coconut oil in a medium mixing bowl. 
  2. Carefully shape into three patties; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  3. Heat the coconut oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the crab cakes until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side.
  4. Serve with fresh lemon and tartar or cocktail sauce.


Old Bay Seasoning

Ingredients: (Couldn't remember where I got this recipe, but here's what I have)

  • 1/2 tsp celery seed
  • 1 Tbsp pepper
  • 1 tsp mustard seed
  • 1/2 tsp cloves
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/4 tsp nutmet
  • 1 tsp salt

Instructions:

 1. Mix all well with pestle & mortar (or Nutribullet)


Homemade Mayo

Source

Ingredients:

  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups extra light tasting olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/3 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Instructions:

1. If you have time, bring your eggs to room 
    temperature by leaving out for a couple of 
    hours.
2. In a blender, add the eggs, vinegar, and 
    mustard and blend together well .
3. Leave the blender running and slowly-slowly-slowly,. drop-by-drop, drizzle in the olive oil. (This 
    will take a while but it is worth the wait and really MUST be done slowly.)
4. Turn the blender off once all the olive oil is in.  Add the salt and cayenne pepper and blend again 
    for another few seconds.


Source

Dill Sauce

Ingredients:

Juice of half a lemon
1 tbsp lemon zest 
2 tbsp dill
10 spoonfuls of homemade mayo 

Instructions: 

 1. In small bowl combine mayo, lemon juice, lemon zest, and dill. Mix well.


P.S. I forgot to add. You're gonna want to triple this recipe if not quadruple it. It's THAT good! : ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment