Friday, September 20, 2013

Not Your Average Meatloaf!

This is a recipe that I came across a few days ago on PaleOMG. I added it to my Yumprint grocery list and finally prepared the other day. I actually picked it because it looked uber easy to put together and I love a meal that cooks in the oven while I clean up the kitchen. This one took very little time to throw together. It does require some chopping, but it is totally worth it!

southwest meatloaf
Source
I actually made the meatloaf and then topped it with some cauliflower "mashed potatoes". I just baked the meatloaf per the instructions. While it was cooking I boiled some cauliflower, blended it in the blender with some butter, broth, and salt & pepper. Then when the meatloaf was done, I just dumped the "mashed potatoes" on top and called it a day! I thought about baking it a little longer with them on top, but honestly was being lazy, lol, so I didn't. 

The taste test was done by hubby and myself, but I ended up taking the casserole dish with me to our local radio club where Hubby and a friend had been working on something. So we had an extra opinion this time. Hubby let the cat out of the bag about the "potatoes" not really being potatoes, but his friend said he actually might not have noticed. He loved it! And he was really impressed that we'd prepared cauliflower that way. 

My own taste test grade would be about a 10 out of 10. It was seriously delicious and we ate the whole thing except for one portion which Hubby had for breakfast the next day. I actually ended up going out and getting more ingredients to make a double batch! Yep, we had it twice in one week, lol.

It does call for some hot sauce, but I actually didn't really think it was all that spicy, so I might try some red pepper next time just for an extra kick! Otherwise, I am putting this one in my stack of recipes! Some day I'll get around to actually organizing them, lol. 

So here you go: Paleo Southwest Meatloaf from PaleOMG 
  

Ingredients

  • 1.5 lbs ground beef
  • 1 egg, whisked
  • ¾ cup almond flour
  • 1 green pepper, chopped
  • 1 red pepper, chopped
  • 1 red onion, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2 tablespoons hot sauce
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon pepper
  • 1 tablespoon fat

Instructions

  1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Heat a large skillet under medium-high heat, add fat and minced garlic to the oil. Once the garlic has become fragrant, add your green pepper, red pepper, and onions.
  3. Cook until onions are translucent then remove from heat.
  4. Add your meat, egg, almond flour, spices, hot sauce, and cooked veggies to a large bowl. Mix together.
  5. Place meat mixture in two bread loaf pans (at least they’re useful for something) and pat down.
  6. Cook for 30-35 minutes.
  7. Top with guac!! Consume!

No comments:

Post a Comment