Thursday, September 26, 2013

Pancakes! ... Er ... Waffles ?

I am a waffle girl. Or I used to be. I loved, loved, LOVED waffles. Pancakes were alright, french toast was yummy, but there's something about a waffle that just tops my list.

I'm sure most people know that waffles are not Paleo friendly and definitely not Whole30 friendly. We are following the Whole30 guidelines, but occasionally we do have a Paleo-ified treat. And last night was one of those nights.



I found a Paleo waffle recipe on The Real Food Forager website. I checked all of the ingredients and decided to give it a go. But then I realized that I had a problem. I do not own a waffle maker. You really don't have much use for one when you don't eat waffles anymore, so I gave mine away a few years ago. And honestly I really don't care much for those large appliances because they're kind of a pain to store, especially as a college student in a cheapo apartment with itty bitty kitchens.

So I decided to turn my waffle into a pancake. You can make a pancake out of pretty much anything. Just plop it down and try not to burn it. Easier said than done apparently because I burnt the heck out of my first two sets of pancakes. I started out with 3 little ones but they were hard to get the spatula under. And they ended up pretty blackened.

Then I tried one big pancake... but the consistency was a little loose. So that one was definitely not pretty. And I still slightly burnt that one.

So then I tried a medium sized pancake. That one worked great, but still kinda fell apart. I think it's mostly user error. I may have decided that I needed more coconut milk than it called for. And I know there's no coconut milk on the recipe card, but I prefer to use coconut milk instead of water. I also added in some cinnamon and nutmeg. I think of recipes as more of a guideline than rule.

I do have to say that even the burnt ones tasted pretty good. They are pretty sweet. We did go with some agave nectar and/or honey on top. Again, not really Whole30 compliant, but if that's where we splurge, then I take it as a win. And it's not something that happens every week, for sure.

The recipe looked kinda small when I started, but I only ate about half of my half. So about 1/4 of the total recipe. It's pretty filling.

I think it might be good if you add in some pumpkin to it too. I might try that next time instead of the bananas. I like to play with recipes. I'll add that to my grocery list and try it again and let you know how it turns out, but I give this recipe a 7/10. I can't say it's totally the recipe to blame, but the consistency was hard for me to work with and it was pretty sweet. Probably because we aren't used to that high sugar content, which again was our choice with the agave. But something that I will play with and try again.

Not sure if I convinced you on those or not. The picture above is from the website that the recipe comes from. I didn't take any pictures of mine because they came out pretty darn inedible looking, lol. We just threw a couple of eggs on top, drizzled some agave, and called it a day though. Works for us!

So here's the recipe. Try it or not... just thought I'd share! : )

Ingredients:





  • 4 large eggs separated (pastured if possible)






  • 1 1/4 ripe medium banana mashed (or one large banana)






  • 2 heaping tablespoon applesauce






  • 2 Tablespoon raw honey (where to buy raw honey)






  • 2 teaspoon vanilla (where to buy vanilla)






  • 1/2 cup coconut flour (where to buy coconut flour)






  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (where to buy sea salt)






  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda



  • - See more at: http://realfoodforager.com/videorecipe-grain-free-banana-waffles-scdgaps/#sthash.WTJJCrwn.dpuf

    • 4 large eggs separated (pastured if possible) (I did not separate mine)
    • 1 1/4 ripe medium banana mashed (or one large banana)
    • 2 heaping tablespoon applesauce
    • 2 Tablespoon raw honey
    • 2 teaspoon vanilla
    • 1/2 cup coconut flour
    • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

    Instructions:





  • Separate the eggs


  • Whip up the whites with an electric hand mixer


  • Add the honey, vanilla and mashed banana to the egg yolks and mix by hand


  • Add baking soda and salt to the coconut flour and mix


  • Add the dry mixture to the wet and blend together


  • If the dry mixture is very thick add water (up to 1/2 cup), a little more banana or more apple sauce


  • Fold in the whites being careful not to over mix


  • The batter should be loose


  • Using a large serving spoon, add the batter to the preheated and oiled waffle iron


  • Remove when indicated by the waffle iron


  • These are not really crisp but satisfying none the less

  • - See more at: http://realfoodforager.com/videorecipe-grain-free-banana-waffles-scdgaps/#sthash.WTJJCrwn.dpuf
    1. Separate the eggs
    2. Whip up the whites with an electric hand mixer
    3. Add the honey, vanilla and mashed banana to the egg yolks and mix by hand
    4. Add baking soda and salt to the coconut flour and mix
    5. Add the dry mixture to the wet and blend together
    6. If the dry mixture is very thick add water (up to 1/2 cup), a little more banana or apple sauce
    7. Fold in the whites being careful not to over mix
    8. The batter should be loose
    9. Using a large serving spoon, add the batter to the preheated and oiled waffle iron
    10. Remove when indicated by the waffle iron
    11. These are not really crisp but satisfying none the less
    Toppings
    • Honey
    • Ghee or butter
    • Maple syrup
    • Yogurt
    • Fruit, etc.
    - See more at: http://realfoodforager.com/videorecipe-grain-free-banana-waffles-scdgaps/#sthash.JfRhIZwn.dpuf

    Toppings


    Honey
    Ghee or butter
    Maple syrup
    Yogurt
    Fruit, etc.


    Side note: Apparently they compare a man's brain to a waffle and a woman's brain to a plate of spaghetti. Women are all busy thinking about everything all at once whereas men focus on one topic at a time and nothing else, hence the pouring syrup into one individual waffle hole at a time, lol. Just thought I'd share that with you. : ) 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment