Thursday, September 12, 2013

Mouthwateringly Delicious Mexican Bake!

As I promised on my Facebook page, here is the recipe that we made last night. I wasn't really sure how I would feel about eggs baked on top of my casserole, but it was really good. It was definitely not something that I would have come up with on my own, which is partly why I wanted to try it, and I was pleased with how it turned out! 

This Mexican Hash Egg Bake recipe comes from PaleOMG. I believe I was searching around on someone's blog (unfortunately I can't remember who it was at this time) and came across a meal plan, so I started clicking and found a bunch of great recipes. This was one of them. 

mex egg bake3
Source
















This recipe is nice and easy. It takes a bit of chopping, but I love recipes where I can do all of the dirty work and then pop it in the oven and clean up while it finishes. Then the food gets done right about the same time as your kitchen is clean. Always nice! : ) 

Source
I do have to admit that I cooked my bake for quite a bit longer than the 6 - 8 minutes that the recipe recommends. Maybe I did it wrong or maybe my oven cooks a lot slower. It's an older model. Probably been here almost as long as this apartment complex has been here, lol. I didn't time it and I actually turned the oven off and on a couple of times because I expected it to be done and then had to turn it back on because it just wasn't getting there. So I'd say I did another 15 minutes or so. And mine ended up being a little too well done because I was picking up Gus's room. That's our bunny, by the way. So I got distracted cleaning up and forgot about the eggs and they were pretty solid. Because of that, I can't really give an exact time for how long I'd change it. I would just recommend watching it or checking every few minutes past the 8 minutes to see if it's where you want it. 

Hubby and I gave it a try last night and it was so good that I went back for seconds! And I went and got more ingredients today so I can make it again, lol. The seasoning is perfect and I love the flavor that the tomatoes give it. And of course there are sweet potatoes in it and you know I will eat sweet potatoes any which way you serve them up! : ) 

So here you go, Mexican Hash Egg Bake from PaleOMG. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Ingredients:

Chili Powder. Photo by Lavender Lynn
Chili Powder - Source
  • 1lb chorizo (I used ground turkey)
  • 1 (14 oz) can diced fire roasted tomatoes
  • 1 sweet potato, diced
  • 1 yellow onion, diced
  • 6-8 eggs
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon fat of choice (coconut oil)
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • ½ teaspoon chili powder
  • ½ teaspoon dried oregano
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions:

  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Heat up a large skillet or cast iron skillet under medium heat.
  3. Add your fat and minced garlic.
  4. When the garlic becomes fragrant, toss in your onions, sweet potatoes and chorizo to begin to cook down.
  5. Use a wooden spoon or whatever you have on hand to break up the chorizo and mix around to incorporate everything. Cover to help steam the sweet potatoes.
  6. Let cook for about 6-8 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
  7. Add your tomatoes and spices and mix together.
  8. If you are not using a cast iron skillet, pour your hash into a baking dish.
  9. Use a spoon to press into the hash where you want your eggs to go.
  10. Crack your eggs directly on top of hash.
  11. Bake for 5-8 minutes depending how runny you want your eggs. Just press on the egg yolk with your finger to see how done it is! (I baked it probably 15 - 20 minutes)

No comments:

Post a Comment