For today, I'd like to share one of my main go-to side dishes for a lot of meals. As I've gotten a better grasp on eating clean, I've resorted to a few staple meals and side dishes and have been branching out and getting more creative as I go. So when I don't have a lot of time and don't feel like being too terribly creative, I make my potato/veggie stir fry side dish.
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 (16 oz) bag of frozen vegetable stir fry (I use Great Value brand, but any will do)
- 1/4 cup chopped cheese of your choice (go for the good cheese, with just a few ingredients)
- Coconut or Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Italian Seasoning to taste
- Onion Powder to taste
- Heat up a pan with a little bit of olive oil or coconut oil
- Add the onions and potatoes
- Cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until mostly cooked, stirring occasionally
- Add frozen vegetables
- Cook another 10 minutes or until everything has cooked through and is soft, stirring occasionally
- Add cheese and cook 2 minutes or until it has melted
* May need to add more oil as you cook
* Again, I haven't measured the spices I use while I'm cooking, so you can feel free to play around there
* Serves 2 - 3 (we like big servings)
Typically, I pair this stir fry with a piece of chicken or pork chops and then make a salad on the side. The meat serving is usually 3 - 4 oz (or about the size and thickness of your palm) and the potato/veggie stir fry will take up most of the plate. It is delicious, full of different vegetables, will leave you full, and you can save the leftovers for breakfast the next morning!
I'm always open to suggestions or comments if anyone finds a yummy substitute or can recommend another recipe, so feel free to share!