The opposite side of hydration is dehydration. This is the condition in which one does not drink enough water to keep the body hydrated. Livestrong.com explains, "Getting enough water each day is important to avoid dehydration, which can cause headache, fatigue, weakness, dizziness and even unconsciousness in severe cases."
"You lose close to an additional liter, about four cups, of water a day through breathing, sweating and bowel movements," states the Mayo Clinic's website. Livestrong's website goes on to say, "Since food typically accounts for 20 percent of your total fluid intake, consuming two liters of water or other beverages a day in addition to your normal diet will typically replace your lost fluids".
The benefits of drinking water are many. Here are just a few.
- Helps you lose weight by reducing your appetite
- Improves your mood because your body feels good
- Helps detoxify your body
- Helps with digestion and constipation
- Creates healthy skin
- Regulates body temperature
- Protects and moisturizes joints
- Transports nutrients and oxygen into cells
- Moisturizes the air in our lungs
- Helps with metabolism