Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Recipe: Sweet Potato and Kale Chicken Patties

I found this recipe on the Multiply Delicious website. These chicken patties didn't turn out as pretty as the ones in the pictures, but they were delicious! I didn't read through the recipe totally before I started to make them, so I didn't realize I was supposed to let them sit overnight, but they were still really good. In fact, I devoured one while I was waiting for the others to finish cooking! I would probably add a bit more spice to it next time, but I like my food spiced well.

This recipe is a perfect combo of protein and carbohydrates, and the recipe even says to get in all 3 of the protein, carb, and fats to just add some guacamole on top. I didn't try that, but I can imagine it would be completely delicious!!  These chicken patties would also be a great option for kids and could be served as-is or sandwich style!

Ingredients:
  • 2 green onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into tiny little cubes
  • 2 1/2 cups kale, finely chopped (leaves only)
  • 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
  • 1 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons coconut flour
Heat a large skillet over medium high heat with 1 teaspoon coconut oil or avocado oil (or bacon grease) add green onions and cook until tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.

Add sweet potatoes and cook for 4 to 5 more minutes, until barely tender.  Add kale and cook until wilted, about 2 to 3 minutes.  Set aside.

Add chicken to a food processor and process on pulse until ground.  Transfer meat to a large mixing bowl.  Add salt, garlic, paprika, Dijon mustard, rosemary, egg, coconut flour, and sweet potato mix.  Mix together with hands until well combined.

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or even better overnight.

Divide your chicken mixture into 6 to 7 even patties.

Coat a large non-stick pan with coconut oil or even better bacon grease to just coat the bottom (not a lot). 

Add patties and cook until golden crust forms, about 5 to 6 minutes, then flip to the other side and cook until golden and cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment