Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Recipe: Sweet Potato Cinnamon Hashies

I love the recipes I've tried so far from Whole Family Strong's site. They are simple and they use ingredients that I'm likely to have already. They are quick and delicious too! This recipe uses one of my favorite ingredients: sweet potatoes. I make sweet potato fries all the time, but this was my first time shredding a sweet potato. My food processor made quick work of that though and I actually shredded about twice as much as was called for and used the extra in other recipes throughout the week. Quick and easy.
Credit: wholefamilystrong.com

Ingredients:


  • 1 large sweet potato (makes about 30 hashies)
  • Cinnamon
  • Egg whites
  • Coconut oil

Instructions:

1. Shred your sweet potatoes in a food processor.
2. Combine 1 large handful of sweet potatoes with one egg white and 1 tbsp of cinnamon in a bowl.
3. Mix all ingredients together. You want all the sweet potatoes to be covered in egg whites but not “wet”. If they look a little too wet add in some more sweet potatoes. The main component here is the sweet potatoes, not the eggs. The eggs are just used as a delicious binder.
4. Heat a thin layer of oil in pan on medium heat.
 5. Drop sweet potato mixture by tbsp-full into oil and press down to flatten. Brown on each side for about 4 minutes each.
6. Continue to repeat these steps until you have made enough sweet potato cinnamon hashies to satisfy your tribe.


It did take me a few batches to get it down. The first ones were a little bit burnt, but eventually I got the hang of it. I also discovered they can be very tasty also if you drizzle a little bit of honey on top and sprinkle some salt on them. Yummy! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment