Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Trying New Things!

When I came across this recipe on Whole Family Strong's website, I knew we had to try it. 


Mexican food has always been a weakness for me, even bad Mexican food (Taco Bell). I used to go to Taco Bell once or even twice a day (partly why I got so unhealthy) when I was at my heaviest weight. Sometimes I'd switch it up with Wendy's or Burger King or pizza or Chinese, but Mexican food was always my favorite! It's very hard to eat anything Mexican when you're on the Whole30 diet though. So this was a treat! We got to enjoy enchiladas! Or at least cabbage rolls with enchilada sauce, but that's good enough for us! 

I think I probably should have cooked the cabbage a little longer, or used a different kind. I'm not all that familiar with cabbages. I just recently started adding them into my vocabulary. I thought I hated cabbage as a child, so it's taken me a while to be brave enough to experiment with it as an adult. But, aside from it being a bit crunchy, the enchiladas were delicious! And I even made some Spanish cauliflower "rice" to go along with it. Perfect!

If you'd like to give it a try, here's how you do it!




 Ingredients for Enchiladas: 

  • 10 outer leaves of cabbage
  • 1 pound of meat
  • 2 tbsp minced garlic
  • Enchilada sauce (see recipe below)

Directions: 

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
  2. Bring a pot of water to a boil, add in cabbage leaves and turn off heat.
  3. Brown meat with garlic and set aside.
  4. Put a spoonful of meat in each cabbage leaf. Roll the leaves and place in a baking dish.
  5. Cover rolls with enchilada sauce and put dish in the oven for 20 minutes

 

Ingredients for Enchilada Sauce:

  • 1/2 - 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 cup veggie broth
  • 6 oz tomato paste
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp comino
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 2 tbsp olive oil

 Directions:

  1. Combine all of these ingredients in a saucepan and heat through.


Ingredients for Spanish Cauliflower "Rice":

Recipe adapted from AllRecipes.com

  • 1 head cauliflower
  • 2 Tbsp coconut oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 14 oz. tomatoes, diced
  • 2 tsp. chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp. cayenne powder
  • 1 tsp. salt

Directions:

1. Put cauliflower through food processor to chop thoroughly
2. Heat oil on medium-high heat in wok or large pan
3. Add cauliflower and onion (about 5 minutes), stirring occasionally
4. Add tomatoes and spices
5. Cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes or until desired consistency




So next time I'm going to try a different kind of cabbage, cook it til it is a bit more tender, and that's about it. I really can't complain at all about the seasonings or anything. It was delicious! And the best part, this recipe really filled us up! I guess I can take cabbage off of my "do not like" list now too. This one's going in the recipe box!

No comments:

Post a Comment