Saturday, July 6, 2013

Trying Something New

It's difficult to say, but I have gotten off track again. Between the stress of losing my job and doing a ton of overtime (odd combo, eh?),  my dad having surgery last week, and starting to interview for work... my desire to eat right has been hit or miss and my desire to workout has completely gone on vacation.

So my husband and I talked about it and have decided to do something we've never done before. We're going to try a program together. It's strict, but not scheduled. And I really think that having him do it with me will be a huge help. Something has got to change because last night I realized that I'm to the point of having to lie on the bed to pull on my boots and most of my pants don't fit anymore. If he does this program with me, it will help keep me on task because I won't want to let him down.

I know I have gotten to the point before where I had excellent will power, could turn down a free cookie even if it was just under my nose, refused to do anything else until I got my workout in ... but somehow I have lost that ability. For now. I know I can get it back. I think I just need a little extra help getting there. And it's time that I learned how to ask for that help. Luckily, my husband is super sweet and very involved in things that are important to me, so he was not hesitant to agree to do this with me when I asked.

Ok, so what is this program we're doing? 

I think you might have heard of it if you've been hanging around in the Paleo world for any length of time. It's called Whole30 from Whole9.  How do we do it? Well, this program happens to be free, so I can share the details. The program lasts 30 days. That's not bad, right? It is a combination of eating right and working out, but it's more of a guideline rather than a regimented schedule and list of recipes/workouts. So it allows for flexibility.

Whole9 | Let us change your life.
Credit: whole9life.com

As outlined on their website, here is what you do NOT eat for 30 days:

  • added sugar
  • alcohol
  • grains
  • legumes (except green beans, sugar snap peas, and snow peas)
  • dairy (except clarified butter or ghee)
  • carrageenan, MSG or sulfites
  • white potatoes
You are also not allowed to Paleo-ify foods. That means no making "Paleo muffins" or "Paleo pancakes".  Instead, we'll will be eating foods like meat, seafood, eggs, veggies, fruit, and healthy fats. The real kind, not the stuff that is full of hormones or artificial additives. So it's pretty open to a lot of delicious meals ... you just have to find them! : )

And one more rule, they ask that you weigh yourself before starting and take measurements, but then you put the scale away. You don't weigh yourself during the actual program, just at the beginning and at the end.

They also ask that you do regular exercise, but I haven't seen where they are very detailed about the rules of that. They do include pre and post workout food options though.

Credit: whole9life.com

What's the Plan?

My plan is to follow what Whole Family Strong did, 2 days on and then 1 day off and repeat. I'll be doing the Fitness Blender workouts for this 30 day challenge. My husband has limitations due to a back injury but he'll be doing stationary bike and road biking  or swimming to get his workouts in.
Creators of Whole30 - Credit: nomnompaleo.com

My husband will be my partner in this, but if you're interested in joining in on the Whole30 Challenge, there is a whole forum available for support and tips or you can be a part of their Facebook and Twitter communities. And if you do better with more structure, they have included the option to sign up for a daily email, called The Whole30 Daily,with guidance and tips to keep you on track with an option to check in for accountability. It does come with a fee, but it's only $14.95 for the month so that is just .50 cents a day, which is not much when you think about how much you will save by not eating out for a month (or trying not to). We signed up for this option.

Want more info? 

If you'd like to see the real results of this program, they have a whole page full of testimonials. If you're still wondering what foods are good foods and which foods should be avoided, they have a book published that you could get as a reference. I have not read it, but if the book is anything like the site then I am sure it will be very helpful. It's called "It Starts with Food". They also recommend checking out the NomNomPaleo website for recipe ideas. Otherwise, we can get started on prepping before the start day. They happen to have a list of very helpful downloadable resources, including a Get Started list.


So ... that's the plan. 

We start on Monday. We got our Day 0 email yesterday when I signed up for it, and they should be sending another one soon to help us get everything set to get started. Today and tomorrow we'll work on cleaning out the fridge and cabinets of anything off-limits, although we don't really have too terribly much of that nowadays. Then we'll run to the grocery store and stock up on all of the things we will be eating for the next week. And tomorrow I'll post our starting weights and measurements. I want to make this a very open and public so you can all see my journey. I would really love to hear about experiences that you've had if you've tried Whole30 before and if you're interested in started the program with me, that would be great to hear your feedback too!

One more thing, I will be posting a new product review in the next day or two, so keep an eye out for that! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment