Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Whole30 Day 3! Feeling the Hangover!

They say that there is a general timeline for people as they work their way through the Whole30 process. This is how it typically goes for people:

Day 1: So what's the big deal? You don't understand why anyone thinks this is so hard.

Days 2 - 3: Hangover. Headaches, fatigue, etc. 

Days 4 - 5: Kill all things! Irritation and impatience.

Days 6 - 7: I just want to nap! All you will want is your bed!

Days 8 - 15: Boundless energy! Now give me a darned Twinkie! You'll have a lot of energy, but those cravings will be serious business. 

Days 16 - 28: Tiger blood! You are feeling great, have energy again, things are clear and optimistic.

Day 29: HolyOprahIt’sAlmostOverWhatAmIGoingToEatNow?!?!?!

Day 31: Deep breathing ... and maybe some ice cream.  

To read more details about each phase of the process, read the full article HERE.


I'm feeling it!

I can tell you that I am definitely right on track with the timeline. The first day, and even the second day, were mostly "Eh, this is not such a big deal." Today, Day 3, I've got a headache and I woke up feeling more refreshed, but still feel like I could just go back to bed. Plus, I am so sore today from the two workouts I've done in the last two days. Since we're doing a 2 days on/1 day off routine, however, I can take a rest day today and recover. Also, I've eaten the same thing for breakfast in the last three days. The first two days were fine, I was full, I felt good. Today, I feel like I could eat a huge pile of pancakes after I just ate my Lagniappe Casserole. All of this is normal, apparently, so I am just going to stick it out and see what happens when I get in the "Kill All Things" stage. Luckily, my husband and I are doing this program together, so we'll be entering that phase together. Should be interesting, haha!

My husband and I are doing the Whole30 program, but I also signed up for the Whole30 Daily and I bought their book, "It Starts with Food: Discover the Whole30 and Change Your Life in Unexpected Ways ." I tend to go all out when I'm motivated to do something. I also love to learn about why food affects us the way it does and how to control it so it doesn't control us. I have to say that both of these extra resources, the Daily and the book, have been a great investment so far.

Whole30 Daily:

 The Whole30 Daily is "32 days' worth of information (including a Day 0 and Day 31) written just for you, specific to that particular day of your program".

W30d_header
Credit: whole9life.com
Each day there is an email in my inbox explaining what I can expect for that day and tips for staying on track. And at the end of each email are two links. At the end of the day, and if you managed to stay on task, you click on the link that says, "I did it!" But if you got off track, there is a link that says, "I didn't do it. I need to start over" and it will take you back to the beginning. So it's nice to have that little click at the end of the day to look forward to. And the information in the emails really helps to explain my emotions and everything I'm experiencing and makes it a bit more bearable.

 

Product Image
Credit: gooogle.com

"It Starts with Food"

Whole30 describes their book, "It Starts with Food", as a source that "details the "why," the "how," and the "what happens next?" of the Whole30 in an entertaining, accessible manner".

I'm only about 7 chapters into this book so far, but it has proven to be an incredible resource. I bought it for just $10 on my Kindle and I have found myself highlighting something on every page, just because there is so much information that I want to remember! I've done research before on why food makes me feel the way I feel, but there is something about this book that really takes it to the next step. It is scientific, but not so much that you can't understand. And they use a lot of helpful analogies to help you really get a grasp on what is going on in your body. And the best part, it all finally makes sense! I am really looking forward to reading the rest of the book and I'm so happy I ordered it. For just $10, you really can't beat that.


My husband and I are also talking rewards today. We've decided that we are going to reward ourselves (other than the obvious reward of a healthier lifestyle) with a non-food gift. We haven't quite figured out what they'll be yet, but I will let you know when we do. All we know so far is that if he messes up one day, then he doesn't get his reward, but I don't either. And vice versa. We think this will keep us more on task because we are both more likely to be less concerned for our own gifts and would rather not take that away from each other because of something we did. And it will help us really motivate each other. We want our gifts! Haha! Make sense?

Ok, well that's my check in for today. Gonna go get some lunch around. Hope you're all having a great Wednesday! And if anyone else is currently doing a Whole30 challenge, or maybe you've finished one, I would love to hear about your experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment