Friday, July 26, 2013

To Sit or To Stand? That is the question.

I know I've mentioned this before, but sitting is very bad for you. 
According to the Mayo Clinic there are conditions ranging from metabolic syndrome and obesity to high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, and even cancer. This includes people who are active outside of the workplace too. You apparently don't get brownie points for regular exercise if you're still sitting 8 hours a day.

They did a study where two different groups were given time in front of a TV. The first group was limited to less than 2 hours of sitting/viewing time while the second group was given a minimum or four hours viewing/sitting time. Here's what they found in the group with the extended viewing/sitting time:
  • A nearly 50 percent increased risk of death from any cause
  • About a 125 percent increased risk of events associated with cardiovascular disease, such as chest pain (angina) or heart attack
For the last three years I have had a desk job... and I still do. I've made attempts to sit on a stability ball or take shifts standing, but they've always gone back to me sitting down and forgetting to stand. Oops.

I've finally made myself a standing desk. 
I'm not going to show a picture because it's pretty much the most redneck version of any kind of standing desk I've ever seen. I currently work from our dining room table, so I took two square foot rests and placed them on top of the table and I have a wooden board on top of one to hold my computer while the other foot rest holds my mouse and other office supplies. Yeah, pretty ridiculous looking. But it works. It is the perfect height for me. I get to stay by the window.

credit: ergo21.com
I am only on day 3 of standing while I work, but I've removed my office chair so I'm not tempted to sit and the foot rests are kind of a pain to move if I want to just sit down at the table. So I think it will work. I am going to work with my husband on designing my own REAL standing desk because any search I've done online has only shown super expensive options. And I'm not ok with that.

So what are the benefits of standing while you work?
There are several benefits ranging from increased energy, burning more calories (weight loss), and more circulation. This all helps your body to burn off excess sugar too, which is great for your body. You might also notice less back pain and your core muscles will become stronger.

To avoid problems when standing, avoid:
  • Standing for many hours on hard floors
  • Wearing high-heels. High-heels with pointed toes are especially problematic
  • Ill-fitting shoes
  • Narrow-fitting shoes
  • Shoes that lack support and/or cushioning between your feet and the floor
  • Shoes that cause you to "claw" at them to keep them on your feet
 To get the most benefits from standing:
  • Alternate periods of standing with short periods of sitting
  • Change positions frequently
  • Stand on a rubber mat or cover hard-wood floor
  • Wear comfortable shoes
  • Wear support panty-hose or socks
Stretches to do while standing/working:
So there is my new plan in addition to doing the Whole30 program. Will update you on that soon. We're going camping this weekend, so that will be a challenge, but we went grocery shopping last night and we will be prepared! Hope you all have a great Friday!

Check out my Facebook page to see a couple of cool Infographics and like my page if you like what you see! : )

Sources:
NY Times
Mayo Clinic
Wiki How

No comments:

Post a Comment